Sparks High School: More Than a Memory
Two North County, Maryland residents, Wayne McGinnis and Dorcas Ensor Schaeffer are working to preserve the history of Sparks High School. The school opened nearly 100 years ago in 1909 as Agricultural High School serving the students in the farming community. The name was changed to Sparks High School about 1920.
Converted to an elementary school in 1953 when the Hereford Junior/Senior High School opened, the building was destroyed by fire in 1995.
The first class photo they've been able to find is from 1915. They also have a class list of the 15 graduates that year, plus a photo of the boys' basketball team.They want Sparks High graduates, and families of alumni who are deceased, to dig through boxes in attics, as well as in closets and basements. They'll take anything - class photos, school newspapers, class lists, team photos, graduation announcements, play programs, report cards.
Read full article from the North County News